"Sneaky" (Chlex One-shot- Contest Winner)-PG, Romance/Humour

« Older   Newer »
lillianschild
view post Posted on 2/5/2010, 21:48

TITLE: “Sneaky”

SUMMARY:
Winning entry for the April ´10 Naughty-Seduction Fanfiction Challenge #9- Blind Date!

RATING:
PG

AUTHOR: lexie aka lillianschild

A/N:
For the sake of this story you have to assume Lex is still friends with Clark.

"SNEAKY"

It’s Friday evening and Lois is getting the popcorn ready for a movie marathon with Clark after finishing a mouth-watering pizza he surprised her with. The young reporter keeps amazing her with little thoughtful gestures which she’s too tough to acknowledge in so many words, but which mean a lot to her hidden romantic heart. She’s too cynical to confess she’s always wanted what every young woman and that she’s finally found it in Clark of all people. For once she’s been taking things slowly and she can’t remember ever being this happy.

“Shoot!” she drops the package she’s just removed from the microwave and sucks a couple of fingers after burning them with the overly-heated aluminium.

“Lois, is everything OK?”

“Everything’s peachy, Smallville,” she grins, sauntering into the cosy room with a filled-to-the-brim bowl of buttered popcorn. “So,” she sighs, setting it down on the coffee table and flopping down on the sofa, ”have you looked through the DVD selection I rented at the video store this time?”

“Yeah,” he smiles faintly, wondering why he’s let her pick the films yet again. He should have let her get the food instead of giving in to his stupid romantic spirit and speeding all the way to Metropolis to bring her that double pepperoni and extra mozzarella pizza she used to love eating on Sundays when her Mom was still alive. “Kickboxer ... Fast & Furious... “

“What’s wrong, Clark? Don’t you approve of my choice? I enjoy speed and well-built guys,” she teases him, munching on the snack and giving his body a seductive once-over.

“Oh, look! Gone in 60 Seconds,” he opens the DVD case and kneels down in front of the player, putting his back to her to keep his heat vision under control. At least Angelina Jolie is in this one. It still amazes him how he could fall for someone so different from Lana.

Fifteen minutes into the film Lois has inadvertently snuggled closer to him and suddenly things are getting too warm.

“Say, Clark,” she blurts out, clearing her throat, when she realises Clark’s eyes are no longer glued to the screen and that Angelina Jolie’s far away from his thoughts, ”have you taken care of that little errand I asked you to?”

“Pardon?” he frowns.

“Earth to Clark,” she says waving a hand in front of his eyes. “You do remember the conversation we had last Wednesday at the paper, right? Say you didn’t forget your promise or neither of us will finally get to taste dessert until I’ve got definite proof. ”

Crap.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

“No, I haven’t told him anything yet. We’ll proceed as planned. Yes... I see your point,” nods Lex on the phone as the door of his private office at LuthorCorp opens and Clark enters with a sheepish grin on his face when the billionaire sees the big bunch of flowers and the box of chocolates. “Could we discuss this further over lunch? I’m afraid something’s turned up that demands my urgent attention,” Lex tells his interlocutor with a smirk. “Ok. Goodbye.”

“I’m sorry for interrupting. I didn’t know you were busy; your new secretary said it was fine.”

“This is what happens with temps. Do you think I’m losing my edge? There was a time I used to be more intimidating. This would have never happened when Dad was alive,” replies Lex, walking around the desk to invite Clark to sit down.

“I’m sure your employees respect you more than they ever did your father. You’ve earned their trust and admiration because you’re a capable leader, Lex.”

“Well, thanks for the praise, Clark. I’ve been having a pretty lousy week at work and my spirits needed to be lifted. So... what have I done to earn a bunch of flowers and a box of Belgian chocolates? Or is that a bribe to have me do something for you?” he chuckles.

“These aren’t for you... They’re for Lois and... well... about your second question...”

“Yes? Come on, Clark. You’ve done this dozens of times before. You know that there’s nothing in this world I wouldn’t do for a friend. Does this favour have anything to do with Lois?”

“Yes... and no. You see, I... We... The other day... I kind of told her... I was... worried about you.”

“About me?” frowns Lex.

“Yes, you know, about your being too committed to this corporation and... not having a life of your own...”

“Are we talking about my no longer appearing in the society and the gossip pages of The Planet and The Inquisitor with a new bloodsucking brunette on my arm? I’ve had had my fair share of murderous wives and girlfriends; thank you very much. “

“I know but... “

“I really don’t see what my love life has to do with this favour you want from me.”

“Lois has a girlfriend who’s just moved back to Metropolis.”

“Are you two trying to play matchmakers?”

“No! Lois said this young woman...”

“You don’t know her?” Lex cuts him off.

“No. Lois said work takes up most of her friend’s time and that she has no social life and no other friends. That she’s shut herself off after a few failed relationships... ”

“Has this person asked Lois to procure her a date?”

“Well, no.”

“It sounds like your girlfriend...”

“She isn’t my girlfriend... officially...”

“... is meddling in yet another person’s life. Two people’s, actually. Besides, the fact my name’s no longer mentioned in Linda Lake’s column doesn’t mean I don’t have a life.”

“You’re seeing someone?”

“Are you fishing for information, Clark?”

“Do you mean to imply I’d stoop so low as to use our friendship to get a byline in The Planet?”

“A man in love can do things he’d have never thought possible to please the woman of his dreams. The flowers and the chocolates mean you‘ve put your foot in. Has she been stalling? Yeah, I thought so.”

“Lex...”

“She’s the one, isn’t she?” he smirks.

“Could you do this one thing for me? I won’t ask you for any more favours... in the next six months.”

“OK,” he sighs. “Lunch. Dinner might be interpreted as a date and this won’t be one. I’ll tell her her friend was busy chasing a lead and that her boyfriend was too tied up baling hay to welcome her to Metropolis. I’ll just show her there’s more to Kansas than corn and cows, give her a tour of the city, make some chit-chat and that’ll be all. “

“Thanks, Lex.”

“Don’t thank me. I’ll have to cancel a very important lunch and hope they’ll buy my excuses.”

Chloe pays the taxi driver and rushes out of the cab to take shelter from the rain under an awning. To think she could be somewhere else, sitting comfortably near the fire, going over her draft for tomorrow’s column and eating homemade Thai food. Life’s full of surprises. Her lips curve in a smile as she reminisces last weekend.

She looks at her watch. Half past twelve sharp. The person she’s meeting must have already arrived. She looks through the shop window and sighs. It’s show time.

“Good afternoon, Madam. Table for one?” asks the waiter with a heavy Italian accent.

“No, I...” she interrupts herself when a pair of well-known blue-grey eyes locks with hers across the room. “Excuse me,” she adds, leaving the man standing and walking purposefully towards the back of the restaurant.

“Chloe?”

“What are you doing here?”

“Well, I may ask the same question.”

“Are you stalking me?”

“Stalking you? Why would I stalk you?”

“You tell me, Lex.”

“I can’t believe this. The little rat,” he mumbles, shaking his head.

“What in heaven’s name are you talking about?”

“Clark.”

“Clark? What does he have to do with anything?”

“This. You. Me. Blind date. Your cousin and our best friend have set us up.”

“You have to be kidding. Are you here on a date?“ she glares.

“It isn’t a date. I was supposed to buy her... you... lunch and show you the sights before taking you to The Planet. “

“Yes, that’s what you told me on the phone the second time we talked.”

“I guess he expected me to be dazzled by you.”

“Are you?” she murmurs throatily.

“You’re here on a date?”

Business date. I’d try to talk a young tycoon into giving me an interview Lois couldn’t get.”

“They must have suspected something. They should pay for being sneaky, don’t you agree?”

“Any ideas?”

“Do you think you could fake not to stand the sight of me or the sound of my name, especially around Lois?”

“What’s there in it for me?”

“A sexually frustrated Clark and... long steamy nights in bed with your husband.”

“Deal.”

“See you tonight?”

“You’d better deliver.”

“Love that glare. It’s convincing. Hope Olsen’s taken enough pictures.”

“See you at home, Lex.”

“Can’t wait,” he murmurs, fingering the wedding band he’s only been wearing when they’re alone.

THE END

Edited by lillianschild - 2/5/2010, 19:37

0 replies since 2/5/2010, 21:48   27 views